Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's hard to imagine that one year ago today I threw out the best news of my life. That's right, I threw it out. Rewinding a bit. Mr. Tall Guy and I had decided that the time was right to expand our little family, but thanks to a mild case of pcos and irregular cycles, it didn't happen right away and we were fine with that. But because of the irregular cycles, I should have bought stock in the pregnancy test company because I peed on sticks rather frequently! This brings me to one year ago today...

It was a regular Saturday morning. Being used to getting up early, I got up to take care of the dog while Mr. Tall Guy slept in. But before going out in the cold (it was January in New England after all!) I swung by the bathroom and decided that I might as well pee on a stick while I was at it. I took WonderMutt out, fed him breakfast and then went to retrieve my stick.

There it was, clear as day, a bold line. Into the trash it goes. I made a pot of coffee curled up on the couch with my dog and laptop. But then I stopped. Was there something else next to the line? Nah. Well maybe....

I went to look in the trash and luckily it was still on top and back in it's wrapper so it wasn't gross - well it was gross because I had peed on said stick, but at least it didn't old mashed potatoes on it! So I look again and there was something very faint next to the bold line. So back to the bathroom I go to get the test directions which were pretty much useless for the question I wanted answered. I then calmly went to the First Response website to see what it said. It's a .pdf of the directions that were in the box. Great. For the record "One line may be lighter than the other" is not very helpful. I wanted examples. I wanted proof. Was I knocked up or not?!?! So I put the test on the counter above the trash barrel and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

Finally Mr. Tall Guy gets up and as soon as he comes down stairs I asked him to look at what I left on top of the trash. I can't really describe the sound he made, but I'll try -- something like an excited squeak of happiness and terror all at once. To be honest, he didn't really know what he was looking at. Just the fact that I wanted him to look at a pregnancy test caused that reaction because he assumed what it would mean and asked him what he thought of the something. Was it a second line or was it just something? Hmmm... After much debate, and trying not to get our hopes up, we decided that it looked good, but we wait until the next morning to take another test to see what it would say (first morning pee being the best and all).

Later in the day I went to Target and even though I had pregnancy tests at home, I decided to upgrade us to a digital test for the next mornings pee on a stick routine. And while I was at it I might as well buy a two pack. I was home all of 5 minutes when I figured that since I had a two pack there was no reason like the present to try one out and save the other for the morning. And there you have it. Within seconds I had the no denying it "Yes+" on the test. We were having a baby. A baby which was only the size of a poppy-seed that day. 250 days later we got to meet that baby. My poppy-seed grew to be an 8lb 4oz, 20 1/2 inches long, healthy baby boy.

Has it been all roses since he was born? Absolutely not, but I wouldn't change a second of it. There is no doubt that this is the best adventure of my life and that adventure started one year ago today.

P.S. Yes, I took a picture of the test and this is it. At least I didn't keep my urine soaked stick!

No comments: