Friday, March 26, 2010

Do you go the extra mile at your job?


I love getting a paycheck. I like my boss and most of the people I work with. I'm pretty good at what I do (except on days like today when it's Friday and I don't feel like working anymore). But do I love my job? Nope. Can't say that I do. Do I go the extra mile at my job? Sometimes. Less now than before Fussy Gus. Not sure why. It may be the lack of sleep. Or maybe it's because it seems less important next to him.

I work in the computer industry, so it's not like I working on curing cancer. (Fine. Computers play a role in curing cancer, but you know what I mean!) But today in the bathroom I realized that even if your job isn't on the scale of curing diseases, you can still try to step it up a bit and do the little extra. And I'm guessing it brings you a little bit more satisfaction when you do it. I know, I know -- the bathroom? Stay with me for a second.

As I said I work in computers and I sit in cubeville in a decent sized building. And like most office buildings we have cleaning people to take care of things such as cleaning the bathrooms. Look at the picture. One of the cleaning people goes to the trouble of making a flower on the toilet paper. We're not talking about a hotel triangle here people. A flower. This must take at least a couple of seconds to make. Is it required? Hell no. But she (or he) does it as a little extra. I'd like to think they did it to brighten someone's day. And today it worked for me.

Will this make me go the extra mile? I'll be honest, probably not all the time, but maybe a little more often then I have been.

No comments: